There's talk of an Illinois statewide ban on smoking in bars and restaurants. Several Illinois communities have passed local smoking bans; this ban looks like the next anti-smoking step.
Now, let me make it clear that I'm just about as anti-smoking as they come. This attitude most likely stems from the fact that I lost a beloved grandmother to lung cancer. I experience emotional and even physical pain every time I see a loved one light up. Few things on Earth bother me more. I think the tobacco companies are pure evil -- they hide data about just how dangerous cigarettes are, they conspire to make cigarettes more addictive, and they encourage kids to start smoking young, creating new generations of addicted customers. (Speculation? Hearsay? Unfounded claims? I don't think so. There's pretty good evidence that these assertions are true.) And I can't tell you how much I love going to a totally smoke-free restaurant or bar. It's truly a delightful experience. I wish all such establishments would get rid of their smoking sections.
Yet despite my hatred of cigarettes and tobacco companies, despite my visceral twisted-gut reaction to smoking, despite my desperate desire to protect everyone I know and love from the evils of cigarettes, I just cannot support these smoking bans.
As adults, we get to make these kinds of choices for ourselves. Restaurant and bar owners get to decide what works best for their establishments and for their clientele. Customers can choose where to drink and dine. It's perhaps a bit more complicated when we consider the employees of these establishments, and maybe it's naive or simplistic to say that these people should just find a job elsewhere if they don't like the smoke. But surely there are other job options these people can pursue. And if the market truly supports smoke-free establishments, then more and more bars and restaurants will ban smoking all on their own.
It just isn't appropriate for government bodies to dictate this sort of thing, in my opinion. It would be really, really great if everyone decided to up and quit smoking, but these bans just aren't going to accomplish that. What do you think? Am I being short sighted or narrow minded here? Does this mean I have to resign my membership in the Democratic Party? Am I totally smoking crack?
12 comments:
One of the rare times I totally disagree with you, Kelly. If a business owner is so convinced that smoking is the key to his/her business, then he/she can find a way around the ban by becoming a "private" club with "memberships."
I really don't see a down side to it -- not the least of which is me not having to put up with that damn secondhand smoke when I just want to eat out.
I will admit, though, that I'm not as convinced on the matter of bars as I am restaurants.
Kerri, the reason I was inspired to write about this today is because I heard that the ban currently being considered by the state assembly would ban smoking even in private clubs. Of course, now I can't find any evidence to that effect, so it might not be true. That point does make a big difference in how I feel about the ban.
Hmmm. That would be really disturbing. I would be against it then, too. Let me know if you find out that's true.
We have that here. Start smoking or cigar bars. It is wonderful to be able to go out and not smell of cigarette smoke. People adjust. Your freedom of choice ends in my space. All smokers should smoke outside, second hand smoke causes disease COPD and the number cancer of both men and women lung
The Colorado Smoking Ban has been awesome, especially for people with health concerns such as asthma. I have to admit that I forget people still smoke because I just don't see it as often anymore. I know that I can take kids anywhere in Colorado and they won't have to be around second-hand smoke or be influenced by seeing people smoking.
They passed just such a ban where I live, and the entire city was up in arms on both sides of it. There were dire predictions of mass bar and club closings, that it would completely alter the live music scene, etc. It seems to have had no such negative impact.
I can't stand smoking, but I think that people that choose to smoke should have a place to smoke. And, as you've pointed out, it is highly unlikely everyone will just cease to smoke, there must be a compromise.
If that means they must create smoking only establishments to achieve this, then I'm all for it. As long as the employees understand they will be working in a smoke filled environment.
I'd just like to point out that smoking also puts a burdon on healthcare which ends up being a burdon on much more than just the smoker. It's a behavior that society just doesn't have to tolerate. Should we allow people to poop in the street if they want? Would a "poop bar" be okay?
I agree fully but for one thing: putting a ban on smoking in a bar? Would mean that I would smoke never... I only ever crave one (or five) when I have a couple of gin and tonics in me. The same can be said for the astronomical price of cigarettes in Chicago. I never buy them when I'm in town. But then, I'm really not as desperately addicted as many.
Um, and I also need to add that the idea of a "poop bar" is something that my six year-old, who was just reading over my shoulder, will be laughing at for a WHILE. Thanks, Pop Pop!
Smoking is NOT a choice, it is an addition. It is as addictive as heroin. I support anything that keeps people from smoking.
You lost your grandmother and never knew your grandfather because they both smoked.
On the other hand, are we going to start banning French fries fried in duck fat? Obesity is the current biggest health problem in America, and we're all paying plenty for fat people's diabetes and and heart problems. I say this as a person who could stand to lose 30 pounds and would go nuts if Haggin Daas was banned.
The number one killer in this country is heart disease now. It was the number one killer in the 50's. The factor you can change are diet,wieght control, exericise,not smoking, controlling your hight blood pressure and diabetis. The number factor is choose your parents. Family history has more of a effect on heart diease than any other factors all together. So heart disease not controlable
But...
The number two killer is cancer with lung cancer as the number one cancer killer of both men and women.
The other killers are broken down by age and sex.
I do not think you can legislate eihter health or molarity. But the resturants and bars were not providing smoke free places. I do not mind if there are separate busineses that are all smoking
Post a Comment