"For example, in the early 1990s, a study showed that women who believed they were prone to heart disease were four times more likely to die than women who didn’t believe they were susceptible, even though both groups of women had similar risk factors."Let this be a warning to us all! Think good thoughts and believe good things. Our brains are extremely powerful machines, and we're perfectly capable of willing ourselves into illness and poor health. Thinking good thoughts not only helps us stay healthier -- it has the added benefit of making us happy.
And that's my public-service announcement for the day.
10 comments:
So true. I quit smoking by using the patch, and reminding myself that, since the physical aspect of the addiction was being taken care of, all I had to do was talk myself out of wanting a cigarette. Since we can talk ourselves into and out of anything (bungee-jumping, liking asparagus, love), it really was just a matter of deciding to do it. Yay for the brain!
Positive thinking about your health has a beneficial effect. But I worry that people who do get sick might end up being blamed for not thinking enough "good thoughts."
Yeah, if you want to get sick you probably will, but if you don't want to get sick you may still get sick anyway. (Or break a bone)
It seems like I heard that people heal faster if they are generally happier in life.
Wow! Very interesting. Even more interesting is that you found something of interest in a HowStuffWorks article! ;)
I believe that. Thanks for the 'science' to back up my theory.
Positive thinking is very effective. It works for much but also positive thinking can be denial which will prevent seeking rapid and effective treatment.
If you seek treatment within six hours after a heart attack or three hours after a stroke much of the damage can be reversed depending on the underlying causes.
Laughter helps to heal. It changes the chemistry in your brain. So the best thing you can do for someone facing a servere or life ending illiness get them to laugh and fell good about themselves.
Positive thinking may not make you live longer, but it will make your life much more enjoyable.
And Aunt Bobby's right, denial is dangerous. You can't cure a heart attack or a stroke by thinking happy thoughts, you have to get medical help. But positive thinking and lots of laughter make your recovery and your subsecquent life much better.
Wow, you guys are a real downer on the positive thinking. I don't think anyone's suggesting that you should deny actual medical conditions or think happy thoughts instead of dealing with medical emergencies. Rather, the idea is to have an overall positive outlook, which I guess we should try to have about all aspects of our lives, including health. And I still heartily endorse that sentiment.
For years I've been thinking that I'm thin. Still hasn't worked, but I'm now more hopeful than ever!
I don't what to put a dent in your positive thinking. It works, but remenber the first thoughs in your head when you injuried youself. "This so not happening to me " Normal !!! Because the pain
goes away on some things like MI's
people say I'm OK now and we get them in much worse shape than if they had come in with the first symptoms.
Post a Comment