As I was driving home from my choir concert last night, "Like a Virgin" came on the radio. Of course, I immediately started belting along with the Material Girl -- I know the song well. I grew up on this stuff. "Like a virgin -- hey! Touched for the very first time!"
And as I sang and recalled those *shocking!* lyrics, I chuckled a bit to myself. Remember how upsetting that song was to so many grown-ups back in the day? What is Madonna teaching our youth? Oh my god, pre-teen girls are singing about being "like" a virgin! They shouldn't even know what that means! Gasp! I was amused and diverted by this memory for a bit. Please -- like we were harmed by listening to this or any other Madonna song. Give me a break!
And then a little voice in my head said, "But I wouldn't want the twins listening to this, of course! I mean, not until they're at least 25."
12 comments:
I remember what a stink that song caused, and of course it only grew when "Papa Don't Preach" came out. Who'd have thought Madonna would still be around as a performer more than 20 years later. Of course, now I don't want my kids listening to her because her stuff sort of sucks and I don't want to have to listen to it vicariously through them!
My strategy was to ignore the songs because making a big stink about them only made teenaged girls more curious.
I didn't, and still don't, think Madonna was a good roll model, but I didn't get to pick roll models, I just had to deal with the ones who were already out there.
Now it's your turn.
I remember hearing my then 5 year old daughter belting out "I want to dance with somebody, I want to feel the heat with somebody" along with Whitney. Hmmmm is that what I want her saying? lol Of course now when I get into the car after she has been driving it (sigh) I get an ear full of I don't want to know what. Not much we can do is there?
So now it begins with you as it has with most loving and therefore protective parents. Funny how one's opinions and once fast held convictions change after your child or children come into your life. We all identify with what you are now feeling and do know it is only the beginning for a number of changes you will be entertaining in the next 15 to 20 years. I only know that their will also comve a day when your kids will be beyond your guidance and that is an equally interesting time. So, never say never when saying... "I'll never change!" YOur in for some interesting life changes as you seek to give from your own experience some "life lessons" to your daughters. One of he interesting things to observe will be how you change in the process.
Gramps
Weird Al's, "Like a Surgeon" was infinitely better. But... "Papa Don't Preach" is near and dear to my heart. :)
It is funny how your attitude changes when you become a parent...I myself won't mind so much what the kiddos listen to (unless it's (c)rap music)....after all, I thought for quite some time that Prince's Little Red Corvette was about a car ;)
Interesting you should mention Little Red Corvette...
Can you imagine what songs will be like by the time E&S are teenagers? I actually find some of the stuff out now a little shocking. Do still love Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up," though.
this discussion just fuels my desire to know what's on the CDs you two passed around?!
Email me your address, FADKOG, and find out for yourself.
Is your email address somewhere on this site and I'm not finding it?! Ha! I'll see if I still have one of your emails in my mail...but maybe send it to me in case.
I remember being 10 and singing the words to "Sweet Dream are made of this.." My mom made me stop. "Some of them want to use you, some of them want be used by you...some of them want to abuse you, some of them want to be abused."
Post a Comment