...and recent troubles with the law have been just terrible for business:
Mr. Sohn was entertaining and friendly, as always. I'm sure his delightful demeanor (or his "slight"and "owlish" ways, as New York Times food reviewer R.W. Apple, Jr. put it) are part of what keeps customers flocking to his door (in addition to that mouth-watering menu).
Some of you can attest to the fact that pretty much anyone who comes to visit me in Chicago is subjected to a trip to Doug's. (And every one of you will agree that the long lines and 20-minute drive past countless inferior hot-dog stands is well worth it, right?) Those of you who haven't experienced the joys of "The Sausage Superstore" -- well, it's time you get your plane tickets and hop a ride to Chi-town, pronto.
As you can see, the twins are big fans of the duck-fat fries:


12 comments:
I just can't wrap my brain around duck fat.I don't know what it is about duck and goose that makes me think "eeww". I guess my palate is not refined. Maybe it's because I took Spanish in high school instead of French.
Fear not, Heather. Doug has regular fries, too. The duck-fat fries are a special that you can only get on Fridays and Saturdays.
I wonder how far such a ban will go.
Chickens in eggeries are jammed in cages and have thier beaks snipped so they won't peck each other. They go pretty crazy forced into such close proximity.
Pigs raised in hog barns don't have a pleasant life either.
Why did ducks and gease get singled out for protection.
I'd like to see all animals treated humanely. I buy cage free eggs when I can, and I love organic chicken and beef, but I'd go broke if I tried to eat that way all the time. Such a paradox.
Just last night I looked over the Hot Doug t-shirt I bought for my hottie while I was in Chicago. And even though hot dogs aren't my usual choice of meals, I must say, Doug's were pretty great. And I can't believe you found a table!
I don't think Doug's was there when I haunted Chicago.(Mr J's was our favorite grease pit) next time I make it there I will have to check it out. Where is it located?
Will Tuesday be ok with you? ;)
Yum. Just made a Doug's sojourn myself when family was in town. I'm never quite sure if I'm excited to see visitors -- or just glad for an excuse to go down to Doug's.
I can't wait until Libby can partake like those cute girlies! As it is, Libby only got to eat whatever stuck to her toys whenever she dropped them on Doug's floor. Ewwww.
Let me mention how incredible the twins' eyelashes look in those pictures. Wouldn't you just kill for eyelashes like that? (Wait, they got them from me! I HAVE eyelashes like that! But it's so much cuter on them.)
Tuesday is perfect, Nanette. See you then!
Doug's is at California and Roscoe. He opened his first establishment about five(?) years ago, and then Kerri burned it to the ground (nice going, Kerri!), after which he reopened at his current location. It's worth seeking out when you're in Chicago. It's worth coming to Chicago just so you can go.
Heeeeyyyy! Slander! Slander!
Dearest Blog Readers: Just because a certain establishment catches fire and burns during my wedding shower does not mean I burned it down. After all, I wasn't the one welding indoors. Sigh. That welding moron cost us a year of Doug's!
Oh -- and he opened in 2001. Six years, if you can believe it. He opened right around when Martin and I first started dating, so many, many, many of our first dates were at old Dougie's.
where's the polka-dotted tie, doug?
i have yet to eat at hot doug's, but i hope to go soon!
Post a Comment