The scene: The twins are napping, I'm plowing through some freelance work, and I decide to flip through the free on-demand movies I could watch to pass the time. Eureka! History of the World, Part 1! I love this movie. Airan and I picked up a used VHS copy years and years ago, and we watched it so many times I think we destroyed the tape.As Empress Nympho sings her little "Yes, no, no, no, no, no, no" ditty, I get up to take a stretch, bend over to touch my toes, and feel several pops and snaps in my neck. Seeing as I'm a raging hypochondriac, I think to myself, "I could die right now. I could collapse this instant, never to revive. Airan would come home to find my body on the floor in front of History of the World, Part 1. It's a good thing the girls are safely tucked away in their cribs, shielded from this traumatic sight."
You know, if I were to die in front of a movie, and if I could choose that movie, I think History of the World, Part 1 is a good way to go.
Tell me, what movie would you like to die to?
13 comments:
I haven't seen this movie all the way through, but I love Mel Brooks; "Blazing Saddles," "Young Frankenstein," "Space Balls," . . .
Hmmm...very good question, Kelly. Only one movie comes to mind. Creator with Peter O'Toole. It's a terrible movie, completely unwatchable, and beyond dumb. Still, I'll never forget the day that I jumped up on our couch (much like Mr. Cruise), and shouted "THE POWER OF LOVE!" after first watching it. It's my stupidest moment to date, and if I were to die in front of a movie, it would be only fitting that it be that one. And Peter O'Toole...hubba hubba! :)
I'd really prefer not to die while watching a movie (can you hear the eulogy? Beloved, we gather together to honor RB, whose great life ended suddenly while she lounged in the Barca) But if I had to choose, I would say "Under The Tuscan Sun." Not for the story line but because of the scenery. I could keel over while imagining I fulfilled my dream of laying in a field of poppies.
The Life of Brian. Towards the last couple of minutes. During the singing and whistling.
It's perhaps cliche, but I'm thinking my choice would be "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," hopefully somewhere around the time he offers up the mantra "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."
Purely for the irony of it!
We own it, but I also see it's going to be on AMC in a few weeks. I'm not trying to jinx myself, though!
Not to sound morbid, but I dug this post!
Hmmm....I'm going to assume that before I die, I'm somehow paralyzed so that I'm still watching the movie, but I can't get up to change it, so it just keeps looping over and over again. In that case, I'd have to say "Moonstruck." I never get sick of that movie, and Nick Cage's rant about love is one of my all-time favorites.
If I were to die laughing in front of a movie it could be any Mel Brooks film (or musical), Warner Brother cartoons, or Monty Python.
I think I would pick "It's a Wonderful Life" and while my life was ebbing away I could imagine my lack of existence would have had the same devastating effect as George Baily's.
I think it would be "Cats" I love the music and the dance routines. And maybe if there reincarnation I'll come back as a cat.
Aunt Bobby-if you came back as a cat you would have 9 more lives. That would be interesting! Kelly-I think everyone's choice of movie is very telling in regard to personalities and emotional make-up. This is really interesting! Thanks for the post.
I love this game! Thanks for playing along, everyone! What a great bunch of answers.
I love that show. I haven't seen it for years...the pee scene makes me laugh.
I would die to Breakfast Club. :) Yes, I'd be mid-sentence on my way out, but so what. :D
Three Amigos. Or maybe THX 1138
Post a Comment