After our first performance of this program, I was talking to my mom on the phone and telling her how much I think she'd enjoy this music. It's all lovely early American music, which is right up my mom's alley. When I told her about our arrangement of "Gentle Annie," Mom told me that the song reminds her of her mother, my Grandma Jean, who died almost 12 years ago.
Mom is totally right -- the song's description of a kind, sweet, gentle woman who is sorely missed by her loved ones is pretty accurate. She was devoted to her family and showered attention and love on her numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She never missed a band concert, a tee-ball game, or a wrestling match. While her health still allowed it, she shuttled us kids to and from marching band rehearsals and took us out for Taco Bell -- a special treat indeed.
Grandma Jean was an excellent nurse. She believed that those who have experienced a great deal of physical pain are better equipped to have compassion for the suffering of others, which made her extremely qualified indeed to be a compassionate person. Grandma Jean was a young girl in the late 1920s when her osteogenesis imperfecta reared its ugly head, leaving her bedridden in body casts due to badly broken legs. It's a wonder she was able to recover from those injuries. When I suffered similar broken bones in my childhood, I spent long stretches of second grade in the hospital where Grandma worked. She always came to visit me on her breaks, bringing me treats and bullying the pediatric nurses who weren't as compassionate as they might have been.
I think every one of Grandma Jean's grandkids felt like they shared a special relationship with her. In my case, we had a common love of literature. Grandma Jean and I would discuss Jane Austen, Willa Cather, and Dostoevsky. Shortly before she died, she gave me her (much-coveted) copy of the complete works of William Shakespeare, a worn and fragile tome that once belonged to her grandfather. It is one of my most prized possessions.
Sure, Grandma Jean had her raucous side. She was nigh unbeatable at Balderdash and a worthy opponent at Trivial Pursuit. She was a passionate liberal; regular visitors to this blog with infer that most of the apples in this family didn't fall far from the tree. Near the end of her life, she advocated legalizing marijuana and prostitution so they could be regulated and taxed. I learned new curse words by watching Rush Limbaugh with her, and you don't want to know what that woman had to say every time Bob Dole showed up on C-SPAN.
Bob Dole figures prominently in one of my favorite memories from those last few days, when Grandma Jean's cancer was spreading fast and we all knew the end was near. A group of family members was gathered in Grandma Jean's bedroom, talking softly as she slept. Suddenly, Grandma woke up and exclaimed, "Bob Dole is in the house! Bob Dole is in the house!" She was clearly distraught, so we all tried to calm her down. "No, no, Grandma! He's not here! Why would Bob Dole be in our house?" Finally, my aunt Sherry said, "No, I think Bob Dole is in the Senate."
Even after all these years, Grandma Jean leaves a hole in our hearts and our lives. I'm so glad she met Airan before she died, and I'm heartbroken that she wasn't alive to meet Evelyn and Sophia. I wish the twins had this amazing woman in their lives -- I take comfort in the knowledge that they have many excellent grandparents and great-grandparents to love and spoil them.
At Friday night's CCC concert, I had a hard time keeping it together while we sang "Gentle Annie." I imagine our final concert on the 15th will be just as hard. But I'm so glad I could call this wonderful woman my grandmother, and I'm glad to honor her memory now.
Gentle Annieby Stephen Foster
Thou wilt come no more, gentle Annie,
Like a flower thy spirit did depart;
Thou art gone, alas! like the many
That have bloomed in the summer of my heart.
Shall we nevermore behold thee;
Never hear thy winning voice again --
When the Springtime comes, gentle Annie,
When the wild flowers are scattered o'er the plain?
We have roamed and loved mid the bowers
When thy downy cheeks were in their bloom;
Now I stand alone mid the flowers
While they mingle their perfumes o'er thy tomb.
Ah! the hours grow sad while I ponder
Near the silent spot where thou art laid,
And my heart bows down when I wander
By the streams and the meadows where we strayed.
10 comments:
Now I feel fortunate to have met her through your words (and actions). It's a beautiful reminder of the worth of a life well lived.
Grandma and I first heard that song together while watching a VHS tape from one of your UNC concerts. The Men's Glee sang "Gentle Annie" and Grandma gave me that look. You know, the one that says "Couldn't you just melt."
Always remember Grandma's beautiful smile and all the positive influence she had on all your lives.
Thanks for the blog.
Kiss those girls for me. I hope I can be half as good a Grandma as Grandma Jean was.
P.S.
To others reading this comment; DON'T SMOKE. If not for tobacco we would still have my mother, and the last few years of her life were ruined by COPD.
Thank you Kelly for that special menory. She was a wonderful friend. I worked with her in the 60's She brought into each patients room the true comfort of caring, the gentle accepance of them as people not patients she manged to give them back their dignity so gently. She did this with gentle humor. She always brought a gentle fresh breeze with her.
The only things she could not tolerate was cruelty and intolerance. The intolerant people missed so much of the richness and diversity of life.
After her death I felt like becoming a hit man to the tobacco executives. I think of them as the drug dealers and the republican party as their corrupt politicans
Thank you so much for this post. Grandma was an incredible woman. I remember having that conversation about taxing drugs and prostitution. That was so funny! Don't forget the "Democrat" cookies; pumpkin-chocolate chip. These cookies would help rid her of the "Republican" taste of Morphine. "Lying in the arms of Morpheus" she would say. I really miss her too.
What a beautiful post.
Thank you for sharing.
I love these types of posts. I love learning about other people and the chord they strike with the ones who love them. I was reminded the other day that I've been without my own grandmother for nearly 2 1/2 years now and I'm saddened by how quickly that time has gone by. These relationships are precious.
Thanks for sharing.
What a beautiful tribute, Thanks for giving us that glimpse into your life and history.
Wonderful post :-)
What a nice tribute. I see where you got your spirit. :)
Kel, that was such a sweet tribute. I have to say, though, my favorite part was "I think Bob Dole is in the Senate." Hilarious!
Post a Comment