[E]ven with sites like Landover Baptist and Jesus’ General, it’s still really hard to distinguish complete over-the-top sarcasm and satire from real fundamentalist lunacy. When you have people — and I use that term loosely — like the truly evil and sick Fred Phelps, then how can you ever satirize fundamentalist religion again?Now that I've excerpted basically his whole post, you should go read the rest of it.But then, the Bible does say you can sell your daughters. But who would ever take the Bible word-for-word literally?
Sigh.
And yes, I know other religions have incredibly foolish notions about arranged marriages, selling women, and the like. I will say this out loud and squarely: any institution — government, religion, or otherwise — that treats women as anything less than men should be derided and humiliated publicly, and not issued a deferment because of any notion of social relativism. Anyone who treats 50%+ of the population — or any percentage, no matter how small — as chattel should be taunted out of existence.
I think it's hard to argue with what the Bad Astronomer says. What say ye?
10 comments:
Where's Finished Last when you need him? I'd love to know what he has to say about this.
What scares me are the people who sympathize with Phelps but don't, so far, admit it.
When things go wrong, and things always go wrong, it's too easy to find some one/thing to hate and blame.
Much harder to take responsibility for your own actions and realize that the world does what it does whether your in its way or not.
I have some very strong emotions surrounding this particular idea. Of course nobody wants to feel like a second-rate citizen. I think those fundamentalists may be afraid of women for various reasons. That's why they put women in a lesser role. We know for sure that our brains do work differently from those of men; not inferior to men, just different. Maybe Fundamentalists are afraid of "different." I think this is the bottom line-fear.
Finished Last is gone, real life drama on the home front.
I think I'll sign up, I could use a new jacuzzi! ;)
As missionarys are knocking on my door I am wondering which favor? The very tall man is looking in the door window must be Fundamentalist or Jevoha's witness. The guys across the street are in blue dress shirts and ties. I think the Morman's only dress in white. I am very tired of these guys that think you should follow a strick paternal religion and they are the ones to save you to a life of being a second class citizen. No thanks I don't open the door to them, not because I'm tempted but because I will give them a piece of my mind and they will not like it. Anyone who looks in my door at 10 AM on a Saturday is an ass.
P.S. I think I could fall for a non gender base religion
Now I'm worried about Finished Last. He was going through a rough time. I hope he's OK.
If you're out there FL, you're in my thoughts and prayers.
It was good to have your voice of reason in these conversations.
So often the weirdos get all the attention and the people who are out there trying to do their best get trampled on or ingored.
Well J.H.C., I didn't know I could sell my daughter.
Pop pop, How much would you get for your daughter?
Aunt Bobby, Way to go! I appreciate that you care enough for those missionaries that you don't want to turn them from their own path, though they try to turn you from yours.
Kelly, did Bad Astronomer bring this up because of some specific brouhaha going on in the blogsophere, or did it just strike a whim?
And, yes, that's how you spell brouhaha. I looked it up on m-w.com. Who knew?
Post a Comment