
Cheese night. We get three different cheeses (in this case, manchego, brie, and roquefort -- mmmm), chop up some apples, throw together some garlic crostini, and call it a meal. Back before we had kids, we used to do this all the time. In fact, before we had kids, meal planning was always an extremely casual affair. We always had ingredients around the house for our staples: burritos, chili-cheese tator tots, pasta, and grilled cheese sandwiches. More often than not, we'd have cereal for dinner and call it a night. Or we'd eat out -- we did an awful lot of that.
Now that the kids force us to think about eating nutritionally balanced meals on a regular basis (like, three times a day! What's up with that?), I've been trying to get us into the habit of planning a week's worth of meals and shopping accordingly. This is what all the smart moms do (like Rug's Bug), and it's time I got on the wagon.
Just in time, the oh-so-smart Anne Glamore at My Tiny Kingdom shared four of her family's favorite recipes and instructed her readers to get organized and embrace meal planning. I do as I'm told. I've assembled everything I need to make Anne's four recipes (and a few more), and I'm looking forward to my new foray into organized cooking. I plan to report back on my great success, hopefully with pictures of my culinary accomplishments. Stay tuned.
11 comments:
Good luck with that.
When Grandma Jean went back to work, Grandpa Jay did all the planning, shopping, and cooking. He was good at it too! You think I might have learned some of that orginization, wouldn't you.
I'd eat cereal for dinner every night. Now that I'm back on crutches that I idea is even more appealing.
I'm glad Evie & Sophie have you for a Mommy.
I know you are going to smack me for saying this, but, where's the cheddar? That moldy (I KID!) Roquefort looks nasty! How could you eat that stuff when you were pregnant?
I'm more of a cheddar/Monterey Jack kind of gal. But, I'll definitely eat the apples and the Garlic Crostini. Yum.
Seeing as those blue bits in the roquefort really are mold, I think it's appropriate and accurate to call it moldy. But it's still delicious. The challenge is keeping the twins from stealing it all. Those girls love their blue cheese. Probably because they got so much in utero.
Looks so good! I could eat that every night too. Cereal is always my backup dinner.
Fancy cheese kinda scares me! Ha! I mean, I'm with Rug's up there. I consider it pretty wacky if I pick up a package of pepperjack cheese!
I have to do this kind of meal planning thing. It would be a huge advantage around here. First meal I'd like to dig into is some of those chili cheese tator tots. Good cripes, I'm starving now!
Can't wait to hear how the meals turm out. And the cheese and bread and fruit would be a big hit here at the Glamores!
Yum, yum, yum. Looks delicious. There's nothing better than a simple meal that tastes great too.
I'm inspired!
MMMMM. The cheese and garlic crostini sounds delish. I used to have nutritious meals for the kids, these days peanut butter and jelly will have to do. Would you mind making extras and shipping them to me? :D
It all sounds good --add a nice wine and it would be perfect.
Hey! I did all the cooking except for weekends and holidays. And some of the shopping. When you moved to Rifle it was a different story.
Post a Comment