- You don't really understand just how good the work being done by the Shriners Hospitals is until you have a kid (or two) who benefit from it. The Shriners offer world-class, top-notch healthcare to children at their orthopedic and burn hospitals, all at no cost to the parents. The Shriners are amazing people who do incredible work.
- As a mother of preemies, I am of course a fan of the March of Dimes. Their tireless work to prevent birth defects and prematurity benefits countless children every year.
- The Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation is of special importance to us, seeing as three-quarters of my nuclear family (and many members of my extended family) have OI. Great research studies are underway to find treatments for OI (studies that are benefiting greatly from stem cell research, by the way), and I hope that someday soon they'll have a treatment the twins can take to lessen their risk for broken bones and other OI-related complications.
- The work being done by Cure Autism Now deserves everyone's support. Autism is nearly an epidemic in this country, but great work is being done to clear away the mysteries of this disease and bring about treatments and, hopefully soon, a cure.
- Doctors Without Borders works around the world with the sick, injured, and malnourished, as well as refugees and displaced people, providing assistance in some of the most dangerous places on Earth.
- Closer to home, the Chicago Chamber Choir, of which I am a member, shares the gift of music with everyone in our community, singing in schools, homeless shelters, and retirement homes in addition to our regular concerts. I believe beautiful music is well worth supporting.
- And let's not forget our furry friends this holiday season! (Thanks for reminding me, Nanette!) Chicago's Anti-Cruelty Society and other organizations like it look out for the well-being of abandoned and abused pets, caring for them and helping them find loving homes. These groups are doing great and necessary work.
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Season of Giving
Now is the time of year when we think about giving, both to our friends and loved ones and to the charities that work to improve our lives and the lives of others. As you think about your charitable giving this year, consider these organizations near and dear to my heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
You didn't mention the Museum of Western Colorado.
The county won't tell us exactly how much we're getting. If they went by the measure voted in in 1975, we'd be getting about $1.5 million this year, but our beloved commissioners are only going to give us between $500 & $550 K. (They won't tell us which one, but my vote is on the $500 K.)
I like to give to my favorite animal charities...the local food bank....salvation army angel tree (buy for children/disabled/seniors)
I always give to the Humane Society and to our local United Way.
I also give to the OI foundation and the March of Dimes. It's because of their work that I have two beautiful grandaughters, and God knows how many other children's lives have been saved or greatly improved because of their wonderful work.
Art and cultural organizations are having a diffult time with fund raising. Contributions to these entities have been steadily declining for about ten years.
Anyone reading this, please send $10 to your local museum if you can. If enough people did that the continuation of arts and culture in your community would be a lot more secure, and quality of life plummets when arts and culture go away.
That's a great point, Mom. The only cultural organization I listed is my choir, but we just joined the Shedd Aquarium (mostly so the girls can see the penguins whenever they want), and we used to give donations to the Lyric Opera of Chicago (in addition to our already-expensive season tickets). Cultural organizations need our support, too.
How about St Judes Hosp I,ve sent serval terminally ill childern there with very good results.
The Salvation Army saved Steven when he "bottomed out" from drug and alcohol abuse. Trained him for a career.
Then there is Habitant for Humanity that have helpped a great number of people esp. after Katrina.
All the other services and charties that touch our lives
Love
aunt bobby
I'm ashamed of how little we give -- usually just to the food bank and to a domestic abuse shelter. Then odds and ends throughout the year. It always seems like we don't have enough, but what I need to realize is you never feel like you have enough.
I love the arts and culture point from Kelly's mom. I'm going to work to incorporate them into our giving, too.
I've been researching some international donations (I'm giving in my mom and dad's name for their present this year). This was the most interesting one by far: www.100friends.org. The guy seems reliable, and I love the idea (plus I'd love his life of traveling to the back of beyond to distribute the goods).
Thanks for the ideas, all good ones. I also like the Alzheimer's Association.
Good list, I woulld aslo reccomend your local Hospice organizations. if angels exist they do in the form of Hospice workers.
Post a Comment