I recently finished Robin's Chotzinoff's Holy UnexpectedThat story in and of itself isn't what made this book so fascinating for me. I was entranced and charmed by Robin's descriptions of her personal faith. Her faith is less about belief (she seems to consider much of the Torah to be a metaphor) and more about finding a community, a structure, that supports and nourishes and loves. She finds that her community encourages disagreements and debates about what it means to be Jewish, and no two people will agree on a definition of the nature of God or whether it's okay to run to Wal-Mart for duct tape on the Sabbath. She meets with some people who keep Orthodox practices and who tell Robin they find freedom in the rules. Robin finds her own balance between keeping some of those strict rules and still being true to her own life, her family, her community.
Will this atheist be embracing Judaism (or any other faith)? No. But I did find this read to be, for lack of a better word, heartwarming. I strongly recommend it. (Along with another book of Robin's, People With Dirty Hands.)
I must be on a religious/anti-religious book kick. I just started reading Richard Dawkin's The God Delusion -- check back for a review soon.
8 comments:
There is a lot to be said for the community found within any religious structure. It certainly is one of it's greatest drawing cards and also what keeps even those who doubt securley entrenched.
This book sounds really good, I might look it up, great review!
January is my month to host book club. I am hoping to broaden our minds a little. We have been reading a lot of what I call "Target Aisle" books.
This book sounds interesting. I am leaning toward chosing a bio/autobio book.
P.S. Unrelated, we share an appreciation for the man that is Mike Rowe. I love that dirty old man.
a payne, I'd recommend this book as a good book club selection. It's a quick, easy read, very engaging, and it's sure to spark plenty of conversation.
One day, when I find the time to read again....I will definitely check it out :) says she that purchased the Demon-Haunted World on your suggestion and have yet to crack it open....damn it...where does all my time go ;)
Nanette, read The Demon-Haunted World!! You don't even have to finish it -- just start it. It's so good!
I think I might be upset that you didn't talk about your book on my blog --sniff-- --sniff--
I'm just jealous cuz I haven't read a book good enough to review in a while.
Post a Comment