(What? What's that you say? You think I should have to see more than 20 minutes of a movie before writing a review? Well, if you feel so strongly about it, you might as well just skip this post.)
We took Evelyn and Sophia to see Happy Feet this weekend because Sophie is obsessed with penguins (or "bee-dees," as she calls them). We knew going in that it was highly unlikely we'd be staying for the whole movie. The girls did astonishingly well -- if there hadn't been 20 minutes of freakin' previews, we could have stayed for most of the movie. Sophie had a lovely time and seemed to be just about ready to nod off right before we left. Evie, however, became bored with the show and decided she'd rather play peek-a-boo with mommy, flirt with the people sitting behind us, and grumble and groan about not being able to crawl around. We decided it was best to head out before things got ugly.
I loved the first 20 minutes! The music, the characters, the animation -- so much fun. I loved the way they used pop songs for the penguins' heart songs. It reminded me a lot of the use of popular music in Moulin Rouge, except that I liked it in Happy Feet (not so much in Moulin Rouge). And you gotta give mad props to a kids' movie that so prominently features a Prince song.
Someday, I hope to see the rest of Happy Feet. For now, please don't tell me how it ends.
5 comments:
There's always dvd :)
I hope you got a refund or a raincheck!
We're taking Zoe to see Charlotte's Web when it opens--Nick is going to stay home since he would most likely mimic Evie's behaviour and I er um, Zoe won't want to miss any of the show. :)
Ah! I totally forgot there was a Prince song in that movie! Cripes...now I may have to go see it! My youngest actually said he didn't want to see it, and that kid will sit through anything, so I was shocked.
The fact that we need a date night with a grown-up movie may mean that we wait for this one to hit DVD, though!
Alas my kids are a bit old to want to see this one. it's one of the bummers about raisingthem. No excuse to go see a good animated flick.
Ahhh, the days when we had to persuade the children to watch television... enjoy it now, Mama.
I haven't seen it either Kel. I'll be waiting for the video, I'm sure.
Post a Comment