Thursday, November 23, 2006

Anatomy of a Perfect Thanksgiving Dinner


The Parts of a Perfect Thanksgiving Dinner:


1) Turkey: In this case, a smoked turkey breast. Dee-lish.


2) Gravy: The usual.


3) Stuffing/dressing: Cornbread/sausage stuffing.


4) Bread: Parker House rolls -- it's not Thanksgiving without them.


5) Potato: Garlic mashed potatoes. (This year we decided to follow the recipe and not use six times as much salt as the recipe calls for.)


6) Cranberry: We went with AB's tart cranberry dipping sauce, a turkey condiment. It goes quite well with smoked turkey.

7) Sweet potato: Grated sweet potato pudding. It doesn't look like much, but it tastes divine. (Me, I love canned sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top, but I must be the only one who does.)

8) Green: We strayed from the usual green bean casserole and went with garlic-roasted asparagus. Yum.


9) Palate cleanser: As we've had every year for the last I don't know how many years, avocado-pear sorbet. Refreshing. (Or, in the words of Sophia, "Mmmm.")

10) Dessert: We bucked tradition this year -- no pumpkin pie. Instead, peppermint ice cream pie with an Oreo crust and Cool Whip on top.


(For links to recipes, see the previous post.)


Unfortunately, poor Evelyn is quite ill (thus my absence from the blog for many days) and didn't partake in the dinner much. Her favorite dish, despite illness: the tart cranberry sauce. Can't say I blame her.

What I'm I thankful for? I'm thankful for Thanksgiving dinner (and the fact that I'm no longer cooking it). Oh, yeah, and I'm thankful for the fact that I have the most awesome family on the planet.

7 comments:

Rug's Bug said...

Yummy! You'll have to check out a payne's blog. She took a bunch of pictures. Hope Evie feels better soon!!

for a different kind of girl said...

wow! everything looks and sounds like it was delicious! hope it helped kick off your holiday season fabulously, and that your little one feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. That looks delicious! Hope your darling daughter feels better soon.

Nanette said...

Poor Evie :( It looks delicious...will you send me the leftovers? :)

Kerri said...

Yum. Sure beats our Thanksgiving meal, although Martin did make Paula Deen's sweet potato balls (I highly recommend them). I hope Evie's better now!

Emily K. said...

Ah, one small photograph for the main course and all the sides; one large photograph just for PIE.

As it should be.

Lauren said...

Your T-giving meal looks wonderful! Thanks for the comment, I'll have pics up as soon as I can.
Hope your little one is feeling better now. It's no fun to be sick anytime, but especially on Thanksgiving.