Sunday, November 05, 2006

Pierce My Heart

You all know I have a bit of a crush on Alton Brown. Something about the scientifically minded nerdy chef is just irresistible.

Well, those affections took a severe blow yesterday when I noticed that AB has (gasp!) an earring. And an especially lame earring at that. We noticed it last night while watching Iron Chef America (Battle Honey, Iron Chef Girl* vs. Iron Chef Girl's former sous chef).

What?? Why on earth does AB have an earring? Did he get it to go with his biker persona? To enhance the occasional appearances of BA on Good Eats? Or is it, as Airan speculated, a Harrison Ford earring, a blatant midlife-crisis, how-can-I-make-myself-seem-young-and-hip piercing?

I can deal with AB's bee tattoo. Tattoos don't bother me. But I don't think men should wear jewelry, other than tasteful wedding rings. (There are very few exceptions to this rule.)

I just don't know whether you can still be my fantasy boyfriend, AB. I need to give this some thought. For now, you're on notice.

* That's how Iron Chef Cat Cora is referred to around here. I should be offended on behalf of all women, but I think it's funny.

5 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

I've got a smidge of a crush on Alton, as well, and I think I'm ok with the jewelry thing because I've got a bigger crush on Bono and he's usually sporting a little hoop. And longer hair? Yeah, that does me in a little bit, too...

Nanette said...

Say it isn't so....I hope this doesn't mean you will be giving up the saltcellar....hmmmm....I'll be glad to take it off your hands, his jewelry won't bother me ;)

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I keep meaning to tell you something that just might push you over the edge. I honestly, truly, believe that your dear AB is a smoker. Yes, it's true.

He has all the signs -- heavy creases around the mouth, deep nasally voice. Always sounds like he could just about hock up a loogie at any moment.

Not to mention, what chef (or person in the restaurant business in any capacity) is not a smoker?

That earring ain't lookin' so bad now, is it?

Kelly said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Kelly said...

That's as big a blow as learning Carl Sagan was a wife beater!