Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Both sides of the story?

I've been having a good time checking out entries over at Conservapedia, which, according to Wikipedia, "originated from a project by homeschooled children, with many of its entries created by teenagers as part of a school assignment." Conservapedia calls itself "a much-needed alternative to Wikipedia, which is increasingly anti-Christian and anti-American."

For a good time, try comparing Wikipedia entries to Conservapedia entries. Here are a few of my favorites:

"Dinosaur" at Wikipedia vs. "Dinosaur" at Conservapedia
"Evolution" at Wikipedia vs. "Theory of Evolution" at Conservapedia
"Critical thinking" at Wikipedia vs. "Critical thinking" at Conservapedia
"Homosexuality" at Wikipedia vs. "Homosexuality" at Conservapedia

And perhaps my favorite of all:
  • "Democratic Party" at Wikipedia: "In recent decades, the party advocates civil liberties, social freedoms, equal rights, equal opportunity, fiscal responsibility, and a free enterprise system tempered by government intervention (what economists call a mixed-economy)."
  • "Democrat" at Conservapedia: "Conservative critics claim, however, that the national leadership of the Democratic Party tends to be soft on terrorism, insufficiently patriotic, supportive of abortion on demand, and hostile to America's founding principles such as freedom of religion."
Mind you, I'm not criticizing the high school students who put many of these entries together. Their parents, maybe...

3 comments:

Nanette said...

Ha! Where did you stumble upon conservapedia?

I need to check it out, but--not tonight. :D

Did you see that Ben and Jerry's released a Stephen Colbert Ice Cream? Americone

Kelly said...

I can't remember where I first heard about Conservapedia, but I've since read a few different articles about it. Here is a funny one, for anyone who's interested.

So excited about the Americone Dream ice cream! Stephen had Ben and Jerry on his show the other night -- good stuff. He really let them have it. Nailed 'em!

Anonymous said...

Having lived about 30 miles from Rush's home town during the later 70's I leaned ignorance is impowering. You can rewrite history. choose the sceince you wish to make fun of, and make fun of people that are experts in their own field. You are not wieghted down by knowlegde so there fore you are free.
Who do you manage to find all these inderesting places?