My latest pet-peeve: automated telemarketing calls. We've been getting more and more of these calls lately -- the caller ID says something like "Toll-Free Call" or "Unknown Number," and I answer the phone solely to tell the schmuck on the other end that we're on the Do Not Call list and that they need to stop calling us. Much to my dismay, I'm greeted by an anonymous prerecorded voice who tells me things like "This is not a sales or marketing call!" and "It is very important that you contact us immediately about this opportunity!"
Seriously. Who falls for that? I've had credit card companies call me about suspected (and actual) security breeches on my accounts, and those calls are very different. Usually an actual person calls, and they're very clear about who they are and why they're calling. These vague callers don't give a name or a company and can't give me details about exactly why I need to call them at their 800-number -- just how stupid do they think I am?
According to the FCC, autodialers can legally be used only within limited parameters. "All artificial or prerecorded telephone messages must state, at the beginning, the identity of the business, individual, or other entity that is responsible for initiating the call." Also, "If you have caller ID, a telemarketer is required to transmit or display its telephone number and, if available, its name or the name and phone number of the company for which it is selling products." So at least two FCC rules are being violated by the autodialers who have been filling up my phone line.
The good news: "Some states permit you to file law suits against violators; you may be awarded $500 in damages or actual monetary loss, whichever is greater. This amount may be tripled if you are able to show that the caller willfully and knowingly violated do-not-call requirements."
I'm going to be doing some research into just how to get my hands on a cool $500 for my pain and mental anguish.
7 comments:
Let me know how it works out.
Your dad & I could retire on revenue from illegal sales calls.
You go! I hope you get the cash!
I hate those calls...another good reason to not answer the phone. :P
Most recently I had an autodialer calling my house about 15 times a day.
Because we are "customers" of this company they technically can call us.
I just blocked the number so it doesn't even ring anymore.
I would've threated to cancel my credit card with them, but could never get a real life person.
Go get 'em!
I think just about everyone will be cheering you on in this quest.
Good luck! I have been blocking the calls. Now I'm getting a lot of people that don't speak English very well. They can't seem to understand except when you get their name of company to report the violation then apologize and hand up. The last one I told I have their phone number soooo no calls for about two weeks. Why do they call people who only get mad at them? Where is the salesmanship in that?
i could live in a mansion if this thing works out! because, as has been mentioned, i'm a consumer of the business or a subsriber, whatever, apparently it's fine to call. even with caller i.d., they suck me in!
Post a Comment