Truck driver kills three girls in Amish school shooting
Principal killed at Wisconsin school; 9th-grader charged
Sheriff: School shooter sent letter to say sorry
Gunman spotted, 2 Vegas schools locked down
Federal funds to prevent school violence dropping
From that last article:
"From 1992 to 2002, 261 people ages 5 to 19 were killed at school, according to federal statistics. The worst years -- 1992-93 and 1997-98 -- saw 34 deaths, and the lowest total was 12, in 2000-01."
17 comments:
Although I know it isn't a good solution, it makes me want to send my kids to a walled in school that you can only get into with a ID card/ Retinal scan. Of course that doesn't prevent the kid that has the key card from getting in. I don't know what to think.
I remember watching Columbine unfold on live tv. I had a cousin going to school there(she got out ok). I couldn't sleep that whole night, because at first they made it seem that the killers and hostages were still in the school. So I stayed up all night waiting and watching.
I'm not seriously considering homeschooling, because I think that's a really great way to warp children. But these attacks are terrifying! What on Earth is going on??
Isn't it interesting that our red state, where gun controll is often scoffed at, has hosted 2 of these horrible events?
As an educator, it chills me to the bone. What the heck would I do if someone came into my school? How on earth could I protect my kids? I'm a little glad not to be teaching this year with all of this crap going on.
And this trend of adults coming into schools to murder! It's disgusting. (Great point on the gun control thing, too.)
Frightening!
Amish school killings
Try this again shall we...
Whatever happened to throwing yourself off a cliff to commit suicide or slitting your wrists in the bathtub? Or overdosing on pills? Or poisoning yourself with carbon monoxide, alone, at home? Why are these guys with a death wish taking it to our schools?!
Thanks for this interesting and honest glimpse at the person and life of Kelly W.! I shall visit from time to time and not just because you are a relative. You have some provocative thoughts that are very valuable for those of us who are lucky enough to know you either in person or by "blog"! Keep up the good work!
There isn't much to say. The world is a sad place sometimes.
Thanks for visiting, Grandpa Paul! I hope you're entertained when you stop by.
Ironic...is it not! That conservative Christians who are often vilafied and severely criticised are now, in light of the Amish reactions to their School tradgedy, being held-up as exambles of forgiveness of one's enemies! There seems to be a certain moral "Northstar" in Christianity that comes through loud and clear in spite of all it's critics.
PVO
Hey, PVO--I'd say you have a pretty rosy view of Christianity. Yes, I think it's incredible and wonderful that the Amish community is able to come together and call for forgiveness. The world would be a better place if we all had the strength of spirit to react thusly in times of tragedy. But, sadly, this is rarely the response we see to senseless violence and destruction, regardless of the victims' political or religious affiliations. I'm sure there were conservative Christians (and others) who sought peace and forgiveness in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks, but their voices were drowned out by a majority who sought revenge and "justice," whatever the cost -- a majority lead by the conservative Christians who are currently holding the reins in this country. Those people could stand to learn a thing or two from the Amish community about turning the other cheek and doing unto others, don't you think?
Too many people are thumping Bibles and ignoring what's inside.
Never let your mind be controlled by someone who says he/she is doing God's will.
You're the one who has to answer to your creator, so you're the one who has to talk to Him/Her.
My Jesus taught compassion, taught us to treat others as we would like to be treated, and to love our enemies. I find this very difficult to do, but I know when I fail I have not done God's will, I have failed God, myself, and humanity.
You have to find your own place in the world.
P.S.
The Amish don’t have churches or mega-churches, don’t have preachers, and don’t watch televangelists. No televisions. They don’t even have a political lobby.
They just study their Bibles and talk to God.
I’d never make it in the Amish religion, but I think there’s something to be said for this personal relationship with God.
It used to be that fundamentalist believed in having a personal relationship with Jesus. Their ministers were seen as servants of the congregations, not as political leaders.
I highly recommend Jimmy Carter's book "Our Endangered Values" for a look at heartfelt Christian fundamentalism.
Now too many evangelical leaders, at least too many noisy ones, have corrupted their faith by seeking political power. They use their view of the Bible and fear to control the minds of their constituents.
The Amish live their faith and only ask to be left in peace to follow God in their own way. They may not believe in gay marriage, they don’t practice it, but they don’t try to force their views on everyone by changing the Constitution.
The Amish are changing people through their example. They’ve strengthened my faith and my resolve to try to be a better Christian.
Hey Mom...
You are right on in my book! Thanks for saying so well what I am thinking!
PVO
Hi Kelly...
Yes, when we look at people--both those "in power" as well as those "out of power"--it is hard not to be disapointed! Better to look at the author of Christianity the Lord Christ and take his life and teachings as our model for faith practice and guide to living.
Retired nurse here. When I took my psych training in the late 60's at CO state hospital, the mental ill's main concern was God...God speaking to them, trying to find away for God to speak to them ..ect. We know now they wished power over their fellow man. The loud fundamentalist have more in common with them than with Christ. Also that is the type of personality that killed those childern. This a perverted need for power.
Christ, as I understand gave away power, took care of the poor, forgave those that caused him harm, loved is enemies. All great religions have this philosophy. It is not just limited to the Judo-Christian philosophy. Plato discussed aform and it is a very important tennet of Buddhism.
Something is trying to tell us(human species) That this is our next stage of growth evoling to something better
Post a Comment