Oh. My. God. My debit card has been compromised. I logged in to check my online bank statement today and found that someone has been making unauthorized charges at Sears and Marathon. Large unauthorized charges.
Panic sets in.
So I do the first thing you do in such a situation -- I call the bank. Sensible, no? And I tell the friendly and helpful operator about the situation. Three charges. One of them quite large. I made none of them. Please, please, get rid of them!
So Friendly, Helpful Operator tells me, "Hmm. These charges are still pending. They haven't cleared yet. I'm afraid we can't do anything about this until the charges clear." Um, what? When these charges clear, my checking account will go into the red and my overdraft protection and its associated fees will kick in, which will make the problem even bigger. Right? So don't we want to prevent that? Nip this problem in the bud? Am I missing something?
Maybe I'm stupid. I don't understand why I have to spend the next few days with no money, waiting for the charges to clear, before the bank will do anything about it. And on top of that, I have to wait five to seven days for my new debit card, so even if I had money to spend, I can't spend it.
I'm not blaming the bank, mind you. I'm blaming the jerks who got their hands on my debit card number and caused this problem. Possible suspects:
1) My brother David. Sears has lots of tools, and David loves tools. I can see him spending $700 on a new Craftsman set. However, I don't think he was in Ohio fueling up his car yesterday.
2) Airan. Perhaps he stole my card, went to Sears, bought me a fabulous present (that we can't afford), and slipped the card back in my wallet with me none the wiser. Now he refuses to confess because he doesn't want to explain what he was doing at a Marathon in Ohio yesterday.
3) Me. I was sleepwalking and decided I needed to a) buy a new washing machine and b) see the Midwest.
Further investigation is necessary. I'll keep you posted.
9 comments:
That is major suckness. I have yet to have what I considered a productive conversation with a bank customer service rep. In fact I can remember at least 2 times where I ended up actually yelling into the phone at them. Hope you get it all cleared up.
I give you credit for keeping up to date on that kind of stuff. I wait for our statements to come, then get a knot in my gut at the total due. Sadly, it's us charging all that stuff we can't afford.
Sending good thoughts that it gets cleared up without a lot more hassles (I so hate my bank...I shouldn't even get started on that), and if you want to see more of the midwest, stop by. We'll sing!
Are you sure the girls didn't steel Mommy's debit card?
Are new toys showing up that you can't remember buying?
Seriously, Aunt Katherine had someone lift her debit card number when she paid at a restaurant.
I don't understand how they can make direct, in-person purchases when they don't physically have your card.
It's pretty scarey
Uh, it was me. I've been wanting a front-loading red washer and dryer. I just had to have it.
Sorry, I'll pay ya back when my workman's comp check comes. My C.R.S. is flaring up again.
Hey! If someone is getting a front-loading red washer/dryer with MY money, it better be me!!
I check my online bank statements obsessively. It's like I think I can will more money into the accounts by checking on them frequently. Somehow, it never works out that way...
That is scary Kelly!
I can't believe they can't do anything--that is infuriating!
When you get your new card, is there any way they can set a limit on the transaction--i.e. you need to call to make larger purchases. I know it won't help now, but in the future--ah I won't jinx you :)
Sending my voodoo action your way...let us know.
I, too, suspect Evie and Sophie. Those two party animals know that Ohio is where it's at. They hopped in the stroller yesterday and rolled to the Ohio Marathon for some Slim Jims and Colt 45. You only thought they were watching "Teletubbies."
Wow, that's crazy that they can make purchases without having your card. Is there any way to keep that from happening? We hand our debit cards over to people all day long without even thinking about it! Or I do, at least. Well, I hope it all gets straightened out, and that your bank will replace your money. I need to check with our bank and see what their policy is in this situation.
I thought of something really witty to say while I was doing dishes... but when then I moved on to the laundry and forgot what it was. Sorry.
Hope your money is restored soon! Banks are dumb sometimes. Maybe the coffee can buried in the yard isn't such a bad idea. Any loose floorboards at your house?
Post a Comment