A few nights ago, we bundled up and headed out to our traditional spot to select this year's Christmas tree. This is quite a bit earlier than I usually like to put up the tree, owing to my fear of spontaneous foliage combustion, but the twins have been so excited about the decorations they've seen around the neighborhood that I just couldn't hold out any longer.
Alas, we were rushed while tannenbaum shopping, so while we picked out a lovely specimen of festive greenery, I was denied my customary ornament-shopping spree. I have a weakness for the ornaments, you see, and ever year I buy so many that we can no longer fit them all on our not-small tree. (To those of you who say I ought to take this as a sign that I needn't pick up so many new ornaments every year, I say humbug.) And so we have only two new ornaments for this year's tree:
As I believe I've mentioned in the past, I do not decorate Christmas trees with a theme, and I feel sad for all those who do. I never want to have a Christmas tree that doesn't have a place for gold-painted macaroni-and-glue ornaments made by the smallest hands in the house. These are, in my opinion, the ornaments to be most cherished, and will always be front and center on my tree.



3 comments:
I also dislike the idea of a theme. I receive ornaments from my students every once in a while and I love to have them in the tree. We broke down and bought a fake tree a while back because of our fear of fire. It's not bad. We don't have to water it and vaccuum needles every day.
Ornaments made with love by small hands are the true gifts of the magi.
Made only with love and selflessness.
I don't know how I missed this post! I agree. The one's made by little hands are priceless. My tree has been decorated by the kids totally, the ornaments are everywhere but I don't care, they did it themselves, with a wee bit of a lift to put some up high. :)
Post a Comment