Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Two Things I'm Irritated About

1) The weather. Holy cow. It's 0 degrees Fahrenheit in Chicago right now. We've been having single-digit highs for a week. I can't stand much more of this! (Why isn't this extra body fat insulating me better?)

2) Orthopedic surgeons. I like to avoid making sweeping generalizations, but in this case it is true. And deserved. All orthopedic surgeons make their patients wait for ridiculous periods of time before spending 30 seconds in the exam room with them and then sending them on their way. Yesterday, I had my routine annual checkup with my doctor, a very talented and intelligent medical professional. I waited TWO HOURS in his office. TWO HOURS. And the sad thing is that this didn't surprise me a bit. Been there, done that. This doctor, other doctors, they're all the same.

5 comments:

What Dreams said...

All specialists specialize in patience training for thier patients.
I always bring a good book when I go.
It's a lot easier now that I don't have to find a sitter or have your Dad take a day off work to watch the babies while I hang out at the doctor's office.
It was really not fun when my leg was broken and the only vehicles we owned were standard. Not only did someone have to watch the kids, but someone had to drive me. Gross.

for a different kind of girl said...

It's so bitterly cold here, too! Maybe our air masses are just clashing over the river and battling it out between the states! Whatever the case, seriously, this below zero business is silliness!

And can I just add general practitioners? I once sat in an exam room, with just a sheet, for over an hour. Thanks. I had nothing better to do with my day, especially not accept that apology you didn't extend me, Dr. Courteous

Rug's Bug said...

I'm such a snot...but I would never sit in a doctor's office with just a sheet for an hour. I would've gotten up, gotten dressed and informed the receptionist I was leaving.

It's hard enough to bring myself to go to ANY Dr. My hubby went to a dentist once that said something to the effect of, "What? You haven't had your teeth cleaned in a year? How often do you change your underwear?" If some dentist ever said that to me I would politely ask him to sit me back up and I would leave. There's plenty of dentists in this town. No need to put up with that bullsh**
Now in your case with a specialist and all, I don't know what I'd do. Perhaps mention it to the receptionist?

Nanette said...

I wish doctor's could come up with a better system. I always think I'll show up late....but, if I did, Murphy's law, I'm sure.

On a positive note, my dentist is always on time...always. :)

What Dreams said...

RB, you're not a snot, you're practical.
The very least the office could do if the doctor is going to be late is let you know about it and give you some idea why. That's only common decency.