Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Reading List

I have a shelf next to my side of the bed that's devoted to books I plan to read. That shelf is overflowing. I don't know when I'm ever going to have time to read all of these books. And yet I keep buying more books! The madness of it all!

I don't know what happened to my reading list. There was a time when I read fiction exclusively. Science fiction, to be precise. Where did all these serious non-fiction books come from? Where are all the fun books? Sure, this stuff will be interesting. Edifying, most likely. But I'm ready for some fun books!

Here's a list of the overflowing pile of books that stares me down, day in and day out, mocking me. For now, I'm focusing my energies on The Language of God, recommended by Grandpa Paul. Has anyone read any of the rest of these books? Can you help me prioritize my list?

The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
What We Believe But Cannot Prove edited by John Brockman
Twin Tracks by James Burke
Shadow Puppets by Orson Scott Card
The Language of God by Francis S. Collins
The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
The Truth (with Jokes) by Al Franken
Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman
Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris
Doubt by Jennifer Michael Hecht
The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
Why I Am Not a Christian by Bertrand Russell
The Dragons of Eden by Carl Sagan
The Varieties of Scientific Experience by Carl Sagan
Perfect Circle by Sean Stewart

What's a girl to do with all this serious reading?

8 comments:

Nanette said...

What about a dart board? That is a tough one...and, since I haven't read anything on your list, I can't make any decent suggestions.

Anonymous said...

Impressive list but I have not read any of them ( my "serious " reading leans towards history)

Emily K. said...

I got most of my reading done at night after the little ones were asleep, if I remember correctly. I always thought I'd do it at naptime, but something - bills, phone calls, personal naptime - always seemed to get in the way. The other trick which works well is to bring a book to the playground. I'm guessing that by the time spring weather hits Chicago, your girls will be ready to hit the big kid play equipment. You might be able to fit half a chapter or so in between cries of WATCH ME and PUSH ME! Maybe.

That's a hefty stack, indeed. I personally fell in love with Jane Austen over last summer. I had tried for years to get into it, but for some reason it never spoke to me until then. Pride and Prejudice is crucial! And I think we share a geeky love for Carl Sagan. Every time I read his writing I think, "Man, this guy would be so much fun at a dinner party."

Kerri said...

I can't help ya either, Kel; I haven't read any of them. But if Chess is right and you can fit in a few pages at the playground, Orson Scott Card is usually a good up-and-down author (or at least the two books of his I've read were light enough to pick up easily after time away).

for a different kind of girl said...

That's quite a varied list. The God Delusion is on mine, also. It's not easy working in a bookstore when I'm surrounded by so much intrigue and beauty and I want to absorb it all! Each night I work, I have a post-it note stuck to my nametag and I add the titles I want to tackle next to it. It's since grown into a long, long list (nearly a book itself!).

My next tackle is Heart Shape Box by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son, though he tried to keep that a poorly hidden secret!). Then "The Terror"

I've been reading way too much how-to and self-help, lately. A few interesting bios and some "science" related works, as well. I need stunning work of fiction to shut down the mind a bit!

Good luck with this. I'd love to know what you think of these selections as you go along. So I can add to my own list, of course!

Anonymous said...

I guess I still have all your Jane Austen books. :) I should really return those sometime. They were very good. My bookshelf has turned toward the history of Fiction. We should talk.

-Heather

Rug's Bug said...

Your list puts mine to shame. Although I've got some Annie Proulx sitting on the shelf--I'm a bit intimidated to read it. For now I will fill my head with John Grisham and Bridget Jones' Diary. Maybe when all my kids are in school and the house cleans itself I will take up more serious subjects.

Shannon said...

My mind is melting under the serious weight of that book list. I am in awe.