I don't want to encroach on Rug's Bug's territory, but I thought I'd share with y'all the recipe I used for last night's dinner. Not too shabby. (I have lots of leeks leftover -- let me know if you want some!)
Rachael Ray's Leek-y Chicken and Couscous (from Express Lane Meals)
Serves 4
1-1/2 cups chicken stock
2 T unsalted butter
1/4 cup golden raisins, chopped
1-1/2 cups plain couscous
2 T EVOO
1-1/2 pounds chicken tenders, cut into large bite-size pieces
salt and black pepper
2 medium or 1 large leek(s)
1 cup dry white wine
handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Heat the chicken stock and 1 T of the butter in a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid. When the liquid boils, add the raisins and couscous. Take the pan off the heat. Stir the couscous and place the lid on the pot. Let it stand.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the EVOO. Add the chicken in a single layer and season it with salt and pepper. While the chicken browns on all sides, trim the rough tops and the root ends off the leeks.
Cut the leeks in half lengthwise, then cute them into 1-inch half moons. Place the leeks in a colander and run them under cold water. Separate the layers to release the dirt and grit. Rinse well, then drain well.
Add the leeks to the chicken and wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the wine and let it cook down by half, 3 to 4 minutes. The leeks should still have some color but should be tender and the chicken should be cooked through. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter and swirl into the sauce.
Fluff the couscous with a fork and stir in the parsley. Place a bed of couscous on each dinner plate and top it with the chicken and leeks.
(Interesting how typing out the recipe showed me the many steps I neglected or didn't exactly follow. Hmm. Well, it turned out just fine, despite my poor comprehension skills.)
3 comments:
Yum. I'll have to try that. Although my latest fiasco trying to find orzo makes me a bit leery that I'll find leeks.
Would you like to come over and be my personal chef? :)
Okay, still not entirely sure what a leek is, but I'm guessing some kind of vegetable. That would explain my ignorance of it. :-)
Post a Comment