My girls are a couple of Chatty Cathys. They talk up a storm all day long. They have a lot to say, and they're getting better and better at expressing themselves.
Because they're coming along so nicely with their vocabulary and sentence-building skills, I've decided it's time to start eradicating some of those baby-talk mispronunciations that they've outgrown and yet still cling to. "Wellow" is cute, but the rest of the world recognizes it as "yellow." Most of you are probably unaware that "beebras" are striped equines, and you can take a ride in a Radio Flyer "lagon." Caterpillars, those hungry creatures, mature into "fuh-flies."
Yes, yes, this is all very cute, but the girls are perfectly capable of saying the real words. They have the phonemes. It's time to start putting them to use. So I've been spending a lot of time lately saying things like "BUH-ter-fly" and "WUH-WUH-WAgon," with mixed results. I hear a lot of "wuh-wuh-LAgon!" and "zuh-zuh-BEEbra!" in return.
Evie seems to really enjoy this process, so much so that she decided it's time to start working on some of Mommy's mispronunciations. We sat down this afternoon to eat some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (or "danniches" in Eviespeak, "narriches" in Sophiespeak). Evie turned to me, with earnest expression and urgent tone, showed me her sandwich, and said, "Duh-duh-dannich! Dannich! Now you, Mommy! You, Mommy!" And she was not satisfied until I repeated back to her, "Duh-duh-dannich!" Not to be left out, Sophie chimed in with her own version: "Duh-duh-narrich!"
These poor, sad kids, saddled with a mother who doesn't know how to say "sandwich."
4 comments:
Well they are like their mom, grandmother, and great grandmother. They have a need to say things correctly. And they way is the only way . Good luck!!
Honestly Kelly, I think they'll get it just fine as long as you don't repeat baby-talk back to them.
You talked VERY early. Your Dad was vigilant with me about not repeating baby talk to you, and he was right, but that's all we did.
Anything you do, as long as they think it's a game and you're all having fun, is fine, but don't stress out about it.
I love it! At least it shows they're getting the concept.
I only wish Skyler who I used to nanny for would have done that when we passed a truck. He subbed an f with an "uck" ending. I can just hear it now "F-F-F, Kerri. Now you."
That is great! How cute.
Post a Comment