Lately, I've been semi-seriously considering breast-reduction surgery. I've always had more than I need in that department, and I'm sick and tired of the chronic upper-back pain that comes with being amply endowed.So I've been surfing the web in search of breast-reduction information. WebMD, for example, says large breasts affect nearly 1 million American women. (I'd never really thought of large breasts as an affliction before. And I'd add that they also have an affect on countless American men.) MayoClinic.com cautions that breast-reduction surgery can result in asymmetrical breasts. (Shudder.) BFAR.org offers our society's perceived link between large breasts and promiscuity as a possible reason for seeking reduction surgery. (Seriously? I can't imagine having a plastic surgeon carve up my flesh just so people won't see my curves and deduce I'm a woman of easy virtues.)
I find myself leaning against surgery, and not just because it seems awfully extreme. It's not like I'm one of those poor women who wear size F cups. (My C/Ds seem meager by comparison.) The surgery comes with long-term changes to your body, including scarring and possible loss of sensation. However, I'm finding that my main reason for balking at the surgery isn't because of the medical risks. I have to confess that I'm reluctant to change the shape of my body, even in the face of ongoing pain. I don't think it's vanity -- I wouldn't exactly say I'm proud of this rack of mine. It's just that it is mine, along with all of my other imperfections, and I hesitate to alter it for any reason. Do I need to just get over my reservations and pursue the surgery? I don't know. More research is called for.
As small-breasted women say, "More than a mouthful is more than enough." Maybe it's time for me to embrace that philosophy.
11 comments:
Aunt Jeanie's still thrilled with her breast reduction. You might ask her sometime. It wasn't easy, and it was painful, but she has much less upper back pain and fewer headaches.
Don't do it because of what you look like, you look fine. Do what feels best for you.
Not sure I can help you with this decision. Mine only got big when I got fat. Since I've been losing weight there's more than two finger width's between my bra and the actual goods. If I ever get back to pre-pregnant state I will need to get one of those bras with the gel insert things. Eeeewww.
No comments on the picture?? Seriously?? What's with you people?
OK,
So, Dad & went to the grocery store today to pick up some stuff to grill.
We went to the produce section to get some Olathe sweet corn, which I know you hate, and passed a bin full of cantelopes.
Dad said, "That looks like the picture on Kelly's blog."
Are you happy now?
My first thought was, "ewwwwww."
You hate corn too? Jeez.
If your parents grew enough corn to feed three countries every summer and then forced you to eat it at every meal, you'd come to hate corn, too.
That's not fair.
That corn was soo good even the dogs ate it. I can still see Willie & Julie knocking over the stalks so they could get at the ears.
Every time we would take corn cobs out to the compost heap, Willie would follow us with his stubby tail wagging and with an ear-to-ear grin on his doggy face.
God I miss that boy.
I wasn't going to get involved in this discussion but - it strikes me that there are large papayas in our genes, not cantalopes.
Sorry, but I don't ever remember eating corn at your house as a kid. I'm sure I had lots of meals there.
I remember pancakes. And heated syrup.
All summer long, RB, nothing but corn, corn, corn. And then we'd eat the frozen corn the rest of the year. I can't believe you never had it. I started out loving it, like the rest of the family, but there's only so much corn this girl can take.
Those poor women with F's?? I'm an F NOW... and just think... I BREASTFED my son... wanna take a stab at my size THEN??
I feel your pain, honey... but I *still * wouldn't have them reduced... just too much fright on what COULD happen... *shudder*
Post a Comment