Saturday, September 06, 2008

Hypothetical

Let me paint a hypothetical scene for you. Let's imagine that, instead of Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton had been Obama's veep pick. In this scene we're creating, let's pretend that Chelsea Clinton is a tender 17 years old, rather than her actual 28. And in this bizzaro election world, say young Ms. Clinton is pregnant out of wedlock. Imagine, if you will, that the Clinton family has come together, along with the unborn child's father, and they've decided that the best decision is for the young couple to wed, raising their child together.

Let's imagine how the press might praise and defend the brave family in this delicate time.

Bill O'Reilly: "Teenage pregnancy is a personal matter. . . . Some Americans will judge [Hillary Clinton's] family. . . . For the sake of her and her family, we hope things calm down."

Rush Limbaugh: "I will explain why [Hillary Clinton could] accept the vice presidential nomination [with a pregnant 17-year-old daughter]. Because she's a classy lady, and she's a loving mother, and she doesn't want to saddle her 17-year-old daughter with the lifelong burden of the reason her mom didn't get to be vice president.

Kathryn Jean Lopez: "I teared up when [Hillary Clinton] talked about her beautiful daughter, who has to suffer seeing her most intimate mistake and challenge in the public eye."

OK, so my quotes are a teeny tiny bit altered. But still totally plausible, right? Right?

4 comments:

What Dreams said...

I would love to see the debate all the way around if we switched the party names.
I wonder, do liberal Democrats look as pathetic and out of touch with themselves as conservative Republicans do?
Every time I watch Shields and Brooks debate on the News Hour, I wonder what both men would be saying if the party demonination were switched.

Pop pop said...

And just imagine that Chelsea's boyfriend had a MySpace profile with a statement like: I like to f**k around with the boys, f**k'n hunt and f**k'n fish and I don't want no f**k'n kids. Guess which campaign would be OVER.

Kerri said...

I laughed out loud at seeing Rush Limbaugh call Hillary Clinton a "classy lady" -- even if it was only fictional. I would almost pay money to hear that one in real life. Can you imagine?!?!

Catherine said...

I'm sittin' here reading through all your posts and totally fell in LOVE with this one. Thanks for not being afraid to tell it like it is. And thanks for visiting my blog!