Sunday, June 01, 2008

Status Report, June 1

So when last we spoke, I vowed to actually commit myself to the creative projects I've been dreaming about but neglecting. Thanks to all of your for your support and kind words, and don't mistake me -- I have no regrets about how I've spent the last ten years, what with the awesome marriage and amazing kids, etc. And I'm sure that if I were to hold steady for the next ten years, I'd be equally content, seeing as I'd still have the awesome marriage and the amazing kids, and throw in that mind-bogglingly successful business to boot. Life is good.

But that doesn't change the fact that I want to do something more. I have creative muscles that have been atrophying for too many years. I need to stretch. I need to challenge myself. If nothing comes of it, fine. If I half-write seven novels that are all abysmally bad, that's better than not writing anything at all. I need to at least get myself into the habit of thinking creatively.

Another reason this is important to me: I want the girls to embrace creativity in their lives. I don't know why this is so important to me, but it is. And I firmly believe that kids learn from what we do, not from what we say. I can tell them to embrace creativity until I'm blue in the face. But if they see me striving to bring creativity into our lives, that's what they'll really remember and learn from. (Ditto for things like eating well, exercising regularly, treating others with kindness and respect, and, perhaps the hardest one for me, being a good driver. I am such a bad driver. I don't want them to learn that from me. But that's another post.)

So here's how I'm doing so far:
Words written: about 1,500 on two different story ideas.
Workouts: two
Rows knitted: none (Silas is never getting that blanket at this rate. Sorry, kid.)
Arias sung: none
Could be worse. But could be a lot better. I have some work to do.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep going. You can do it.
aunt bobby

What Dreams said...

Rats!
Now I have to get started again.
Everyone who reads this blog:
What do you know about Gulf War Vets and homelessness. Any link to Gulf War vets and mental illness would be helpful.
I'm not making things up, I know the research is out there, but I'm too chicken to walk over to Whitman Park and talk to the boys there.
(Wolves I can stare down, but homeless people, while evoking my empathy, tend to scare me.)
Keep us posted.
And BTW, it's much better for your daughters to see that Mommy has other interests, and much better for Mommy. I remember some pretty terrific trios sung in front of the TV with Mommy, Kelly, and Danny. Now I wish we'd done a lot more of that.
Does this mean I have to tune my guitar, too?

Anonymous said...

Talk to the nurses at the VA
aunt bobby

for a different kind of girl said...

I have such respect for your desire to show your girls this creative side, and for the writing you've already committed to. Keep plugging away!

Heather said...

I love that you keep bringing this topic up for us. Not only are you reminding us to get plugged in to our creative side, but you are reminding yourself to do the same. Keep at it!

Jules said...

I think a lot of people feel the same way you do--good for you for actually taking action and stretching your creative muscles! It'll be great for the girls to see your example.

Kerri said...

A journey begins with one step, Kel, and you've taken several. Keep walking (and look back every once in a while to make sure that I'm following along behind you, please).