Monday, January 14, 2019

Recruits (500 Words short story project, January 14, 2019)

“That the most foolish idea I've ever heard,” Gregor said, with Tyrna nodding along beside him. "You’ll be broke or dead inside a week, and either way you’re leaving us here to take care of everything without you.” He glared at me over his half-circle glasses. “Foolish and irresponsible.”

“You’ll be fine!” I replied as I pulled on my lightweight summer cloak, the one with all the extra pockets on the inside. I’d already stuffed them full of the things I’d need on my way to the capital -- dried fruit and nuts, some jerky, a thick packet of folded-over blank paper, so I’d have someplace to write down my thoughts and musings, and the little bit of money I had to my name. It wasn’t much, but the capital wasn’t far, and once I got there I’d be taken care of.

With the cloak settled over my shoulders, I returned my attention to scowling Gregor and Tyrna. “We all know you don’t need me to feed the chickens, or anything else around here. Gregor, you do almost everything yourself and shout at me for doing it wrong if I try to help. Tyrna, you do everything else, and refuse to let anyone help you. All I do here is sit around and eat your food. I thought you’d be happy to get rid of me.” I fastened my cloak pin, checked to be sure it was secure, and then lifted my small pack. Again, it didn’t hold much, but I wouldn't need much. And, truthfully, I didn’t have much.

But Gregor wasn’t ready to concede. “Happy to be rid of you? How can you say that? When Mother and Father left us,” and here Gregor paused as both he and Tyrna closed their eyes and murmured a respectful line of prayer, “we promised them we’d look after you. And we don’t aim to let them down.”

I refrained from rolling my eyes and snorting, but just barely. “I was five. I needed someone to look after me then. I don’t now.” With the cloak in place and the light pack over my shoulder, I was ready to go. I darted in close and gave Gregor a quick hug, and then turned to give Tyrna a peck on the cheek. “I’ll write to you when I get to the capital, right after I check in with the recruitment office. I’m sure they’ll keep me busy, but I’ll make time to write nonetheless. Don’t you worry! Soon you’ll be coming to visit me in the capital, once I get settled!”

“Please, Alex.” Gregor’s tone, now pleading, brought me up short. “Please, just consider. I don’t trust this call for recruits.” He and Tyrna shared a serious look, and then he returned his gaze to me. “You’re too young to remember the last time the capital sent out a call for recruits. It was a little different -- last time they were calling for craftspeople, not artists, but otherwise it was just the same. Come put your talents to work for your queen! Finally receive the recognition -- and pay! -- you deserve! Help build our fine capital into a beautiful paradise! It all sounded so noble, and so attractive. Of course everyone from the districts wanted to go.” Gregor dropped his head and was silent for a long moment.

And then I saw the tears welling in Tyrna’s eyes. After long, silent minutes, and Gregor failed to continue, Tryna took over. “Alex,” she said, her voice a whisper. “That was when Mother and Father left. They answered the call for recruits. They promised to write, to send home money, to return with riches and presents for all of us. But once they left, we never heard from them again.”

(This post is part of the 500 Words short story project.) 

No comments: