1234 West 95th Street
Chicago, IL 60643
773-445-9700
773-445-5755 (fax)
Dear Representative Davis,
I was shocked, saddened, and disgusted by your recent comments to Illinois citizen and activist Rob Sherman as he testified before the House State Government Administration Committee. You stated, among other things, that because Mr. Sherman is an atheist, he believes in destroying what this state is built on.
Representative Davis, I'm writing to you as a mother, an Illinois citizen, and an atheist. I love my family, I love my community, I love Illinois, and I love America. I believe in building a better future for all of our children. And I believe in teaching my children to accept that everyone in this great nation gets to choose for themselves what they believe when it comes to God. I am appalled to discover that members of my own state legislature view me as a second-class citizen.
You're right, Representative Davis: This is the Land of Lincoln, where all citizens, even our greatest historical figures, are free to reject religion. Would you have spewed the same vitriol at Abraham Lincoln?
"The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma." -- Abraham LincolnThe United States was founded by people who valued religious freedom. Have we as a nation strayed so far from those values that even our elected officials think it's appropriate and just to attack those who hold a different set of beliefs?
Representative Davis, you need to recognize your intolerant hate speech for what it is and apologize to Mr. Sherman and all American atheists. Your statements prove that religious discrimination is alive and well in the Illinois legislature. Please take another look at your words, see the error of your ways, and work with us to end religious discrimination.
Sincerely,
Kelly J. Wright
Friends, if you believe in freedom of religion and reject religious discrimination, and especially if you're an Illinois citizen, please send your own letter to Representative Davis. She needs to hear this message loud and clear.
7 comments:
Fantastic letter! Thank you for posting this.
Jeff in Hyde Park
Good for you.
aunt bobby
Well said!
You could have added Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson to the list, but they weren't from Illinoise, were they?
I'm very proud of your well thought, well written, and dignified addition to this debate.
Please let us know if Davis replies.
Amen! (did I say that?)
Did you see Keith Olbermann today? I swear he must have read your post before making his own very similar remarks on MSNBC's "Countdown w/ Keith Olbermann".
Excellent, Kel! An inspiration.
Great letter. Monique Davis is an @ssclown.
Post a Comment